Solar Mounting Solutions
- Aluminum mill (A)
- Bronze anodized (B)
QBase Universal Tile Mount
Item Code: QMUTM
The QBase Universal Tile Mount uses the QBase foundation and two spun aluminum cone flashings for installing solar panels on tile roofs with superior strength and waterproofing. The installer can conform the secondary top flashing to fit virtually any roof tile, flat or curved.
- Flashed at both the deck and top levels
- 18x18-inch malleable top flashing with spun aluminum cone
- 9x9-inch subflashing with spun aluminum cone
- QBase is the strongest off-the-shelf mechanical mount
- 3031 lbs. average ultimate pullout (Douglas fir); 803 lbs. average ultimate shear
- All exposed hardware is 18-8 stainless steel
- Attaches to roof structure with 2 or 4 fasteners
- Meets or exceeds tile roofing best practices
- Available through leading distributors
- 100% IBC compliant
- All fasteners and hardware included
- 20-year warranty; 50-year expected life
- Works with all leading racks
- Patents pending
- Made in USA
The primary flashing at the roof deck forms a waterproof shield isolating all penetrating fasteners from water intrusion. The top flashing is malleable, so it works equally well for curved and flat tile roofs. Both flashings feature a spun aluminum cone, with no seams to fail in extreme climates. The reinforced QBase makes an extraordinarily strong foundation. Ideal for both retrofit and new roof solar panel installations.
WARNING: Quick Mount PV products are NOT designed for and should NOT be used to anchor fall protection equipment.
Installing the QBase Universal Tile Mount
Tile Roof Waterproofing Methods
All Quick Mount PV tile mounting products are designed to comply with the roofing best practices listed by the Tile Roofing Institute (TRI) for tile penetration flashing (MC-02). The photos below show our QBase Universal Tile Mount. The same waterproofing methods apply to all our tile mounting products. For more info go to www.tileroofing.org or contact .
If permitted by the building inspector, the three-course method may be an option for waterproofing the deck flashing. This process uses a layer of asphalt roof cement (approved by the roof manufacturer), a layer of reinforcing fabric, and another layer of asphalt roof cement to seal the flashing to the felt paper. Click here to download step-by-step instructions to use the three-course method with our tile roof products. (PDF 617K)
Felt Paper Bibbing Method
In retrofit installations where the standoff and primary flashing do not fall in a position that is close to the overlap of felt paper, an approach that is sometimes called "bibbing" can be used. When the overlapping drip edge of the felt paper ends in the tile course above the penetration, a separate piece of felt paper is positioned under the battens and overlapping felt, which then extends down to bib around the penetration and over the deck flashing.
Each mount kit (4 or 12 per box) includes:
- Cast aluminum QBase
- Aluminum post, 1-1/4'' x 6-1/2''
- 9'' x 9'' spun aluminum cone subflashing
- 18'' x 18'' spun aluminum cone malleable flashing
- Two zinc-coated steel lag bolts, 5/16'' x 3''
- Stainless steel machine bolt, 5/16" x 1"
- EPDM post collar/counter flash
- EPDM-bonded stainless steel sealing washer, 5/16'' x 1-1/4''
- Stainless steel fender washer
- Stainless steel split lock washer, 5/16''
- Grade-8 machine bolt, 5/16'' x 3/4''
|Flashing Size||18" x 18" top flashing; 9" x 9" subflashing|
|Pullout/shear||3031 lbs. average ultimate pullout (Douglas fir); 803 lbs. average ultimate shear|
|Tools needed for installation||
|Applicable roof types||All tile roofs, curved or flat|